from Monticello High School Mustang to Brigham Young University Cougar
"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." ~John Wesley~


Wednesday, October 26, 2011

In Defense of Young Single Adult Men

We have all heard the many talks that have been given by the general authorities in the past few general conferences that have in many ways called on the young single adult men in the church to "get moving" when it comes to the whole marraige thing. Do I disagree with the general authorities? HECK NO. Date boys date!
So why do I feel like I need to defend the young single adult men in the church?
Because many young single adult women in the church feel it is their right and responsibility to check the progress of the single adult men around them. Trust me there are many times when I would love to go up to some young man and shake him and say, "Hey you should be dating more cause you're awesome" but here's what stops me....
1) I am not the judge: Who am I to judge the intentions of others? What sickens me most about Latter-day Saints and Christians in general is we profess that we are not judgemental, but we are hypocrites. We are not to judge the intentions of others. Who is the ultimate judge? The Savior.... one day we will all have to account for the things we did and didn't do in this life, but while I'm here my job is not to judge. It's especially dumb to judge the dating habits of someone... you never know their story.
2) I don't have stewardship over them: Making blanket statements that judge the entire LDS single adult male population is really dumb. I am not any of these boys mothers who am I to tell them that they should be dating x number of times a month? If they come to me for advice then sure I will gladly say what I think about their specific situation but I am not going to go and give unwanted and in many cases unnecessary advice to everyone around.
What's my point in all of this...
SISTERS CALM DOWN instead of hounding on the men how about you take a look at yourself and see the areas in which you may be lacking and continue to work out your personal salvation while you wait for your eternal companion.... nothing sounds more desperate then "You're a sinner because you won't date me"
Assume the best in everyone. Assume that the men are prayerfully going about their pursuits of an eternal companion and are doing the best they can.
MEN DATE set your own personal goals that falls in line with the counsel that has been given and remember it's ultimately up to you what you do with that counsel.

No comments:

Post a Comment