from Monticello High School Mustang to Brigham Young University Cougar
"Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, to all the people you can, as long as you ever can." ~John Wesley~


Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Oh The Places You Will Go!

I love this story by Dr. Seuss it's a little long but please read it, and then you'll understand how it is truly my life in a piece of childrens literature.

"Congratulations!
Today is your day!
You're off to Great Places!
You're off and away!

You have brains in your head!
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself any direction you choose.

You're on your own and you know what you know.
And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go.

You'll look up and down streets.
Look 'em over with care.
Aboust some you will say,
"I don't choose to go there."
With your head full of brains and your shoes full of feet.
You're too smart to go down any not-so-good street.

And you may not find any you'll want to go down.
In that case of course, you'll head straight out of town.
It's opener there
in the wide open air

Out there things can happen
and frequently do
to people as brainy and footsy as you.

And then things start to happen
Don't worry.
Don't stew
Just go right along
You'll start happening too.

OH! THE PLACES YOU'LL GO!

You'll be on your way up!
You'll be seeing great sights!
You'll join the high fliers
who soar to high heights.

you won't lag behind, because you'll ahve speed
You'll pass the whole gang and you'll soon take the lead.
Wherever you fly, you'll be best of the best.
Wherever you go, you will top all the rest.

Except when you don't
Because sometimes you won't.

I'm sorry to say so,
but sadly, it's true
that Bang-ups
and Hang-ups
can happen to you.

You can get all hung up
In a prickle-ly perch
And your gang will fly on
you'll be left in a lurch.

You'll come down from the lurch
with an unpleasant bump
and the chances are, then,
that you'll be in a slump

And when you're in a Slump,
you're not in for much fun.
Un-slumping yourself is not easily done.

You will come to a place where the streets are not marked.
Some windowns are lighted, but mostly they're darked.
A place you could sprain both your elbow and chin!
Do you dare to stay out? Do you dare to go in?
How much can you lose? How much can you win?

And if you go in, should you turn left or right..
or right-and-three-quarters? or maybe, not quite?
Or go around back and sneak in from behind?
Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find,
for a mind-maker-upper to make up his mind.

You can get so confused
that you'll start in to race
down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace
and grind on for miles cross weirdish wild space,
headed, I fear, toward a most useless place.
The Waiting Place...

....for people just waiting.
Waiting for a train to go,
or a bus to come, or a plane to go,
or the mail to come, or the rain to go
or the phone to ring, or the snow to snow
or the waiting around for a yes or no
or waiting for their hair to grow.
Everyone is just waiting

Waiting for the fish to bit
or waiting for the wind to fly a kite
or waiting around for Friday night
or waiting, perhaps for their Uncle Jake
or a pot to boil, or a better break
or a string of pearls, or a pair of pants
or a wig with curls or anoter chance.
Everone is just waiting.

NO!
That's not for you!
Somehow you'll escape
all the waiting and staying
you'll find the bright places
where Boom Bands are playing.

With banner flip-flapping
Once more you'll ride high!
Ready for anything under the sky.
Ready because you're that kind of guy!

Oh, the places you'll go! There is fun to be done!
There are points to be scored. There are games to be won.
And te magical things you can do with that ball
will make you the winning-es winner of all.
Fame! You'll be as famous as famous can be,
with the whole wide world watching you win on TV.

Exccept when they don't
because, sometimes they won't.

I'm afraid that some times you'll play lonely games too.
Games you can't win 'cause you'll play against you.

All Alone!
Wether you like it or not,
Alone will be something
you'll be quite a lot.

And when you're alone, there's a very good chance
you'll meet things that scare you right out of your pants.
There are some, down the road between hither and yon
that can scare you so much you won't want to go on.

But on you will go
though the weather be foul
on you will go
though your enemies prowl
on you will go though the Hakken-Kraks howl
Onward up many a frighetning creek,
though your arms may get sore and your sneakers may leak.

On and on you will hike
And I know you'll hike far
and face up to your problems
whatever they are

You'll get mixed up of course
as you alread know
You'll get mixed up
with many strange birds as you go.
So be sure when you step
step with care and great tact
and remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.

Just never forget to be dexterous and deft.
And never mix up your right foot with your left.

And will you succeed?
Yes! You will, indeed!
(98 and 3/4 percent guaranteed.)

KID, YOU'LL MOVE MOUNTAINS!

So...
be your name Buxbaum, or Bixby, or Bray
or Mordecai iAli Van Allen O'Shea,
You're off to Great Places!
Today is your day!
Your mountain is waiting.
So.... get on your way!

I was introduced to this story toward the end of my senior year of high school, and it truly found a place in my heart... I never really knew how true it would be of my life. One of these I wanna sit down and write out the poem of my life to this point in this style... but it'll have to wait...

So today I went back to my high school to do more than visit the choir room and it really was an eye-opener into my life and how yep good old Dr. Seuss was always right.

I'll just point out some similarities and some of my thoughts in this really long blog post....
"And YOU are the guy who'll decide where to go".... wow isn't that so true in college. I decided where to go not only to get my education but once I was there my parents weren't around to constantly be helping me make decisionss.
"In that case, of course, you'll head straight out of town."... the other day a girl I haven't seen since the 8th grade stopped by the restaurant I'm working out this summer. She immediately recognized me but it took me a few moments to put it together. We were small talking and she asked me if I ever made my big dream of leaving come true and I could proudly tell her I had, she was really cute about it but she said almost sadly, 'At least someone who said they would leave this place after high school actually did.'
"Just go right along. You'll start happening too." .... This one may be the most cheesy but honestly, as things at college started happening and I just kinda followed the flow I also found me and who I want to be.
"Sadly it's true that Bang-ups and Hang-ups can happen to you."... how very true. Life isn't a piece of cake, and I always used to think oh that'll never be me or oh that'll never be someone I love, but things don't always happen the way you plan them and you get a little banged up
"Unslumping yourself is not easily done."... maybe that's not true for everyone but it is for me. I realized that while I was away that when I get in a "slump" it takes a lot for me to finally be a big girl and pick up the pieces and move on
"Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind-maker-upper to make up his mind"... so I'm indecissive so yeah this totally makes sense to me. Amen Dr. Seuss.
"The Waiting Place".... been there done that and just like the story says "That's not for you"... it is not the place I want to be.
"Alone will be something you'll be quite a lot".... unfortunately it's a sad truth. I was only homesick when I felt alone. And it has nothing to do with the number of people around you. You can feel alone in an entirely packed room. But it's something I've finally learned that there are somethings I need to do and somethings I need to face alone and it's ok.
"And face up to your problems whatever they are"... this one might sound a little strange but ever since I took Professor Bott's class it's become fun for me to identify a flaw or a weakness or a problem in my life and confront them face on defeat them and then move on to a different flaw. It's just part of becoming the best person I can be.
"And remember that Life's a Great Balancing Act.".... no comment just AMEN! (College: Pick 2- social life, sleep, grades)
"Your mountain is waiting, so get on your way!"... that's what I feel like right now. My life is all ahead of me it's time to attack it full force and get to the top and become the best me.

The other thing is today I got to go by my two favorite teacher's classrooms.... Mr. Hickey and Ms. Haney. I can't even explain to you how much I learned from them, and what an influence they've been in my life. And today was no different I left with words of love, encouragement, and advice. My favorite was the words Ms. Haney has always spoken to our class it's a quote by John Wesley he said, "Do all the good you can, by all the means you can, in all the ways you can, in all the places you can, to all the people you can, as long as you can." The other analogy that I loved that Ms. Haney used today is that life is like a bowl... you never know what you'll have in it at any given time but you have to deal with that ever changing bowl and make the most of it. It was interesting her perspective on living in the present rather than focusing on the past or looking too far into the future. Mr. Hickey is just as amazing. He kept telling me and Ian, live it and love it now. There will never be a time like this again, we will never get our high school years back. He also put things in perspective because he just had his first baby... life has a meaning it has a direction but that doesn't mean I need to throw myself into things too quickly and regret not being a young adult and loving every moment that I have right now.

It was interesting to go back and visit the school, but it's obvious it's not where I belong. The memories and the people that those memories were associated with are not gone. MHS is no longer home and doesn't feel that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment